This week Marc and Nigel record the show live from TECH.UNPLUGGED Amsterdam. On the show they're joined by Enrico Sgnoretti, Chris Mellor, Howard Marks, and a secret special guest....
September 25, 2015
Topics of conversation this week include:
@00:00 The AWS mega outage.... hope nobody needed to watch Netflix over the weekend!
@11:00 It's patent war time in the hyperconverged world... with Simplivity spending their cash dragging Springpath through the courts
@17:00 Nexenta whips VSAN and Nutanix on the storage front... but who wouldn't with shiny STEC Zeus RAM caching device on the front!?
@21:30 NVMe fabrics again.... some of our guests seem to think they're viable as the high-speed storage interconnect of the future
September 17, 2015
This week it's Marc, Gabriel and Nigel cutting through the important tech news and views of the week.
And can you believe it....... we've been doing the podcast for more than a year! Woot!
@04:30 Marc gives us the low down on the recent Teh Reckoning 2015 tech careers show
@13:00 EMC announces a pre-validated SDS config based on SCaleIO..... Is ScaleIO the bastard brother of VSAN?
@18:35 Give us a shout if you've got any numbers or stories about real world production deployments of NSX and VSAN
@19:50 HP to cull another 30,000 jobs when they finally split the company in two
@24:50 QLogic laying more staff off....
@29:50 Chef lands $40M in 6th round of funding to take them to 136M. DevOps is real!
@35:50 Marc lowers the tone of his neighbourhood with mounds out dirt on the front lawn
September 10, 2015
This week Marc and Nigel are joined by special guest Enrico Signoretti - prolific blogger and organizer of the TECH.unplugged events.
In week distinctly lacking in true infrastructure tech news, the guys mix a bit of consumer/office tech into the mix -
- 00:00 - In Tech We Trust is nearly a year old.... and where have the Secret Windows Phone Apps and Captain Dogger tales gone?
- 04:00 - What's the value of small tech events?
- 17:45 - Tech news round-up
- 19:00 - We reckon the iPad Pro's gonna suck And we reckon the Microsoft Surface Pro is a better device. Also..... can tablets and mobile devices ever be true productivity devices - especially if they run an OS like IOS?
- 30:00 - Privacy on Windows 10.... oh and Android and the rest
- 33:00 - IDC says the enterprise HW market is strong. Enrico's experience with customer adoption of public cloud in Italiy.
- 41:00 - Are mobile apps gonna drive the public cloud and will we ever be productive on mobile platforms?
- 46:30 - Is the SSD form factor for flash on its way out? Is it risky to go the proprietary route for flash form factors?
September 3, 2015
- VSAN 6.1
- Photon and containers
Other topics covered include high capacity flash-based storage systems, talk of the 8TB Seagate monster drive, and the potential need for NVMe based fabrics...